Surgery is complete!!

Hi all,
Well this last week from the 3rd July to Sunday 9th July has been a very eventful week for me. I had my surgery done on the Tuesday morning and was in theatre for 7 and half hours. It has been very tiring for me as I haven't slept a proper good night sleep since the Sunday before we went in to hospital on the Monday. 
After surgery on the Tuesday, I went down to my bed in HDU (High Dependency Unit) where my parents were able to see me again. I was quite swollen when I first came down because of all the different medications I was on but that slowly went down. That night I was already trying to move my legs and roll over haha. The Wednesday and the Thursday were my down days. I really suffered with these days as I was having trouble with my bowels (I know it's gross but it's a side affect of the medication it makes you constipated). So I suffered badly with that but I was still trying to get out of bed when the physiotherapists came as I knew I needed to move as soon as I could. 
Friday, I felt like I was so much better. I was able to walk to the toilet which allowed me to be able to have my catheter taken out and put clothes on and not just my hospital gown. Once I changed my mum sorted my hair out for me and we washed my face which really made me feel refreshed and so much better!! Friday night I was able to leave HDU and go into my normal ward where I would be spending the rest of my time recovering. Once I was in my new ward, the laxatives kicked in so that was a night with very little sleep. By Saturday I was able to eat so much more and was having better trips to the toilet and I was walking around my ward as I get stiff or sore if I don't move from one position to another very often. I managed to do the stairs with my physiotherapists when they came and got me so I was very pleased with myself with what I could do as then I was signed off by them. On Sunday, I went and had my x-rays done so I can see what it looks like and oh my I could cry at the results. It's so straight, it's amazing! I'll try and post my before and after on here so you can see and compare! After I came back from that we spoke to my doctor who said that I could be discharged from hospital that day! So that was very exciting and my surgeon came down to check how I was and if I was pleased which I am, extremely! 
I left the hospital at 1:40 on Sunday so that I could come home! Once I got home my boyfriend came to see me when I was settling in and then my sister and my grandparents came home also to see me and we had Chinese for dinner! 
Overall, I had quite a positive experience as my nurses were all so lovely! They were pure stars who helped me and calmed me down when I needed it. As were my parents! I can't thank them enough for what they have done for me over this last week. I'm extremely lucky! 
I am still in a bit of pain, stiffness and sore but I'm able to get around and do most things already. I do need extra help with things but I'll gradually get better and stronger. 
So yes, an eventful week that I'm glad is over. 
Hope you are all well! Speak soon. 
Katie x

Comments